Tips and Tricks
- Switch off unused lights and appliances.
- Switch off your computer when you’ve finished using it. – Contrary to urban legend it does not damage the computer. You can save $100 a year by doing this.
- Set up your computer power management to turn the screen off if not being used. – Screen savers do not save power! (Go to Power Management in control panel)
- Switch appliances off at the wall – Instead of leaving them on standby and remember to turn off mobile phone chargers too when you’ve finished using them. This could save you up to $100 a year.
- Choose when you use your heated towel rail – Instead of having your heated towel rail on continuously; use it for only a few hours per day. You can save $70-$140 a year by doing this.
- Pull the plug on your second fridge – you can save up to $300 a year by getting rid of your old inefficient beer fridge or freezer.
- Make use of the sun – Dry your laundry on the clothes line whenever possible instead of using a dryer. Keeping windows clean and free from overhanging trees is another way of taking advantage of sunlight to warm your home.
- Use cold wash whenever possible – using the warm wash option uses as much energy as using the dryer and using the hot wash option uses twice as much. (Many front loading machines cannot do a cold wash)
- Load your washing machine to capacity or use a lower water level – most people are surprised when they see how many clothes their washing machine can handle. Weigh a trial load to get a feel for what a full machine load looks like.
- Rinse dishes under cold water instead of rinsing them under the hot tap. Check your dishwasher instructions. Most dishwashers do not require dishes to be rinsed!
- Close the curtains just before dark to keep the heat in.
- Use the right sized element for the saucepan you are using when you are cooking, so heat doesn’t escape around the sides. And use a lid to keep the heat in.
- Take a short shower You can do it in 10 minutes.
- Only boil as much water as you need for tea or coffee. It’s quicker too!